Wednesday 1 February 2012

Curried Bubble and Squeak




by Carol

Substitutions: None!

Rating: 8/10

The recipe says that you can either do this with cabbage, kale or sprouts. We did it with cabbage but I think it would be delicious with any of the others. The sprouts would go a bit mashy and that would be quite nice. It also says that it is ‘absolutely excellent with a poached egg’ so we did a poached egg and it WAS excellent.

It took no time to make and if you were doing it with genuine leftovers (which I wasn’t) I think you could be eating in about 15 minutes. Honestly. It tasted great and felt pretty healthy because it looks like a massive plate of greens, which it basically is. You wouldn’t want to make this for a dinner party as it’s not much of a looker but as a week night dinner it was awesome. Ben said he felt like he could eat it forever. Unlike the Chilli where you just wanted it to end so you didn’t have to take the pain anymore.

Also, Amy and I realised today that all the bad recipes that she has made came from the ‘store-cupboard suppers’ section of the book but I am pleased to say that this was from the same section and it was great!

Will make again.


4 comments:

  1. That looks kind of tasty. I think I'd prefer a sprouty version. Spicy potatoes are the best. And eggs. Eggs are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol and I have been discussing this recipe and it sounds like it might be Amy-friendly! Although I am off cabbage for a while now following the Ribollita horror story.

    I want a poached egg on everything from now on. Except soup, which I have tried. It did not work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried egg-drop soup? It's kind of cool...

    AMy, maybe you could try sprouts, or kale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Amy should try kale and should should do spouts and we can compare them all and decide which is the best!

    Do you cook the egg in the soup?

    ReplyDelete