Tuesday 21 February 2012

Vegetable Biryani WITH Tamarind Raita

Vegetable Biryani WITH Tamarind Raita
by Rhys

YUM.


Vegetable Biryani



Subs: None, I don't think. Oh, I didn't have any ground cumin, so I ground some cumin seeds, and it ended up looking a lot like ground cumin.
Score: 9/10

This was almost definitely the best thing I've made from the book, and definitely the best curry-type thing I've ever made. You do all these things, like with different pans and things, and you're all 'am I going to set fire to this tea towel?' But then you don't, and you make this yummy yum yummy meal that looks amazing and all your guests are full of praise and you feel POWERFUL AND AMAZING.


I'm possibly overselling this. But yeah, I really liked it. The one downside was the peas, which I think you could probably add at a later stage (like when you're doing the sultanas). I am not in love with yellow peas. Otherwise, I was very pleasantly surprised by how deliciously it turned out.

This is the kind of meal you need to prepare everything in advance, because things happen quite quickly once you start.

Oh, it does need some seasoning when you've done the stewy bit on the bottom. And I think you can afford to be reasonably bold with the chilli, because it's a big dish.

Tamarind Raita

Subs: None.
Score: 7/10

This was a nice alternative to normal raita, though I do love the old cucumber/garlic version too. It went well with the Biryani too, because it's all fresh and things.

One piece of advice: DO NOT TRY THIS WITH SET YOGHURT. It was disgusting, and I had to throw it out. It reminded me of this one Lent when I'd given up sugar and tried to make a pudding out of yoghurt and cocoa powder. It was the worst 'pudding' I've ever eaten.

Oh, I think the recipe says that the coriander is optional but I don't think this would have been anywhere near as good without it, so it's worth shelling out for, in my opinion.



Anyway, yes, this was delicious. And the serving size was very generous. There was three of us, who at least had seconds, and half of it was still left the next day! It wasn't as nice the next day though, so... probably a good one for parties.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this looks good. Plus, I am sort of in love with yellow peas so even better. I love it when people give your cooking loads of praise and you feel like the Queen.

    It feels SO SPRINGY today I almost feel like putting together some raw assemblies. A whole new season of Hugh recipes awaits.

    ReplyDelete