Tuesday 7 February 2012

Mexican Tomato and Bean Soup




by Carol

Substitutions:
I used a vegetable Oxo for the stock instead of Hugh’s one
I used a tin of tomatoes instead of Hugh’s tomato sauce
I used more chopped tomatoes than I was supposed to so I only added a few real tomatoes
Kidney beans instead of black beans
Dried herbs and spices instead of fresh

Rating: 8/10

This was great! My faith in Hugh has been restored! It was easy and quick and even though it was a soup there was no blending or any of that faff. It had a fresh green chilli in it so that gave it a nice kick but not too much. The sauce went quite thick even after only about 15 minutes simmering. I know I’m ‘Queen of Thick Sauces’ so this may not be possible for you mere mortal, but give it a go!

I would definitely make this again and would probably make sure I made twice the amount so that I could freeze it and have instant soup. However, this is a definite store cupboard recipe so you probably would be able to knock this up on a week night when you don’t have much in.

I know the picture doesn’t look great, but it was. I promise!  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A glowing review. I had bypassed this one for the moment because of the sheer volume of exotic bean-based gloop I have made from this book, but now I think there is room in my life for more bean-based gloop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm! Is it very different to the chilli? It looks like a soupy version. But that was delicious, so I think it's still a goer. I'm surprised you didn't give it a higher mark, actually!

    Is that cheese on toast you're dipping in?

    ReplyDelete