Monday 30 January 2012

Pinto Bean Chilli


by Carol

Substitutions:
All the spices I used were ground not fresh
I used 2 onions not 3
1 courgette not 2
Kidney beans not pinto beans

Rating: 9/10

Ok, so I used a few different things but my heart was in the right place. Firstly I would like to mention that this IS SO HOT. Hugh says to use 2 – 3 green chillies. I used 2 and I still can’t really feel my lips. Amy, why did you not mention this?! What size were the ones you used and how many?

Although it was hot I still think it was delicious. I usually use chilli powder or dried chillies in Chilli and the proper ones gave it a really fresh taste that went really well with all the veg in it. The courgettes were delicious because courgettes are delicious and the red wine was an amazing addition. It made the sauce go really dark and thick. The kidney beans worked really well but I think there could have done with being a few more in there. So I am determined to track down the pintos and ADD them to the kidneys. Oh yeah. I think it would make it a bit stodgier which can only be a good thing.

Would I make this again? Well, it wasn’t warm and comforting like my usual Chilli recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne which I have veggified by swapping meat for lentils) but it was more like a taste explosion in my face. And so yes, I would definitely make it again. That isn’t to say that the old faithful will be out the door but when I want a cocktail of herbs and spices and to not be able to feel my lips or tongue for a few hours I’ll go for this one.

We ate it with crème fraîche and it was definitely needed. So be warned.

1 comment:

  1. It's a chilli! I thought it was supposed to be that hot, I didn't think to mention it. I used two chillis and it practically melted my tongue.

    Yours looks way nicer than mine did though. Yours has gone all thick. My sauce was watery, even though I simmered the crap out of it. Is it because I don't use oil?

    I found the beans a bit scarce too so I doubled the amount the second time I made it and it was nicer!

    ReplyDelete