Wednesday 1 February 2012

Pinto Bean Chilli

Pinto Bean Chilli
by Rhys


Rating: 8/10 or maybe 9/10

Substitutions: 
Bloody Pinto Beans - Why does nobody stock these?! I used butter beans, because I love butter beans, and black beans, because I found some. 
Fresh Oregano - This was also not stocked in my local supermarket so I used more coriander and a bit of dried oregano.


The triumvirate of Pinto Bean Chillies is complete! And there's nary a pinto bean between them. Well I like my beans better. Butter beans are delish, obviously, and black beans are the baddest. What's so good about a pinto anyway, apart from its hilarious name?

OK, so having been warned that this was a really spicy recipe, I only used two green chillies, and instead of chopping the garlic, I crushed it in a pestle and mortar with salt and the spices. And then I added the chillies and crushed it all some more until I had... a paste! I love paste. And when I put it in the onions it was possibly the most beautiful smell I'd ever smelled...

Anyway, the recipe went a bit wrong after that, because everything happens all at once and I am the kind of cook who does things as they appear in the recipe. But often when an ingredient appears in the recipe, it has already been cubed or diced, or measured or crushed, or whatever; I just wasn't prepared. But, some way, some how, I coped.

And it is delicious! I imagine that mine is on the watery side (possibly because I wasn't that good at doing the liquid measuring), but it was so tasty, I couldn't believe it, kind of. And mine was the perfect heat level, for me. It has a nice kick but you can taste all the flavours. It's really just a spicy, beany ratatouille but I think it's now going to be a stock one-pot favourite.

Does anyone else wish we'd done a taste off?

3 comments:

  1. Aww and you were so sure you were going to find those pintos. One day someone will do this with the proper beans and it will be the best thing ever.

    Amy complained that hers was watery too but mine wasn't. I don't understand! Amy thinks it's because she didn't use oil. Did you use oil?

    I'm glad it wasn't too spicy for you. I wish we'd done a taste off. Maybe we can do it with a different recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe because you took out most of the vegetables there was less water released? Anyway, I have had a look at the leftovers and it looks lovely and thick today. I can't wait to have it again for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jel of your lunch! I like the addition of butter beans. Pintos are overhyped.

    I wish we'd done a taste-off and think we should do that with a different recipe!

    ReplyDelete