Thursday 2 February 2012

Oven-Roasted Root Frittata & Lentil and Parsley Salad

Oven-Roasted Root Frittata & Lentil and Parsley Salad
By Rhys




So these things have nothing in common bar the fact that they share the flip sides of the same page in the book (in the Store Cupboard section - in your face, Amy!) but they are both dishes that can be eaten hot and cold, which I wanted to happen for reasons I won't go into. Sooooo... here is what I thunk.

 Oven-Roasted Root Frittata



Score: 8/10
Substitutions: No real subs but my local supermarket was WOEFULLY understocked, so the vegetables I chose were based on availability. Also, they only had cooked beetroot, so I just used that and cut it larger.


Man, when I went to the supermarket is was literally ON FIRE. And then I went in and they DIDN'T HAVE ANY SQUASH! Fortunately, I found some in our greenhouse. There were gourds all over the place! Also, our chickens have laid two eggs this month EVEN THOUGH IT'S WINTER! So I used those (plus half a dozen from the shop).

So I added a bit of extra garlic, because I need more, always, and I put these in: shallot, potato, squash, suede, beetroot and carrot. It's a good way of clearing out old, manky veg. Aside from cutting up veg, this is a pretty simple meal, with all the food groups. I used a bit of thyme and a bit of parsley, but I think I'd do all thyme next time.

Anyway, yeah, this was yummy! I make frittata about once a week, but this is the best I've ever made, definitely. Yum, yum.


Lentil and Parsley Salad



Score: 8/10
Substitutions: I didn't use Hugh's stock, I used one I made from a Knorr jelly vegetable stock.

The thing about lentil dishes is that they quite often taste like stock, and they have the consistency of porridge. But I liked that this one was covered in a dressing and mixed in fresh parsley and spring onions. (Speaking of spring onions, the supermarket-on-fire had THREE different kinds... but still no squash! WTF?!) And... I think it's the nicest lentil dish I have made, and possibly ever eaten.

Though it still tastes predominantly of stock.

I think the way that Hugh does things (boil the lentils in water for one minute, drain and then cook in stock), means that the lentils, while still well-cooked, remain separate and not at all stodgy. I'm not sure what boiling it all with the bay leaf, garlic and parsley stalks actually achieves, flavour-wise, but picking soggy parsley stalks out of the lentils at the end was a bit of a faff. The rest was very easy.

I will say though, that the dressing got kind of lost amongst the other flavours, but I'd rather that than something overly tangy. And it still tastes super-fresh and yummy and kind of good for you. So. Yeah. I will make this again! I love the concept of a lentil salad, it's brilliant.


In summary: two more recipes to add to my mid-week repertoire, for delicious evening meals and delicious leftover lunches.

3 comments:

  1. Grr, I wish I had a better camera/photographic skillz, because this all honestly looked REALLY good in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the frittata looks awesome! It looks just as amazing as it does in the book. I think the beetroot was a great choice. I am so excited to do this one!

    Good news that it's from the store cupboard section too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That frittata looks delicious! I have revisited the ingredients and I reckon, if I don't roast the veg in oil and only put cheese on Stu's half, I could totally make this. Excited.

    I'm amused that the supermarket was on fire, but you were still able to shop there. And that regardless of the health and safety issues your greatest concern was that there was no squash.

    Stu didn't like his lentil salad very much I don't think. I guess not everyone can handle lentils. I didn't cook mine in stock! Just boiled it with the bay leaf, parsley stalks etc.

    ReplyDelete