Monday 13 February 2012

Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry

by Amy



Substitutions:
Dried coriander, not fresh
1 Cal spray, not olive oil
I added carrots

Rating: 7

Hugh describes this as a "lovely, light curry" and after making pesto I was ready for a recipe that didn't give me calorie anxiety. I am in safe hands with Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry. This appears from its ingredients, and to some degree tastes, like a curry that's had its one really nice ingredient removed. You know, whatever it is that elevates cauliflower, tinned tomatoes and spices to something deliciously complete. It's probably coconut milk, or like, ghee. Or cream.

This has none of those things and therefore just tastes like cauliflower, tinned tomatoes and spices, but in the realm of calorie controlled cooking it's really very competitive. I mean, this is the second time I've made it which is the greatest compliment you can pay a recipe, right? It's largely down to the spices which work very well together. Except the star anise. Why do I keep buying that stuff when I don't like the taste? Because it's pretty, obviously. I guess I'll just leave it on my shelf, looking posh, next time. I think that's all I ever wanted it to do anyway.

Plus points: this is one of the speediest curries I've ever made. You parboil the cauli while you're chopping the rest of the veg so that once you've got all the stuff in the same pan it only needs simmering for 5-10 minutes. What this tight schedule does not allow time for is sauce thickening; like water, it was. Very unappetising. I know, I should have used oil. I cracked and got the cornflour out--that sorted it. I'm not sure if that's allowed or not. Can someone ask Hugh?

Lastly, the issue of vegetable sizing reared its ugly head again. Hugh thinks a medium-large cauliflower weighs about 800g. I weighed mind: 376g. Does Hugh pump his vegetables with growth hormones or something? I thought he was supposed to be organic. Anyway, to compensate for my cauliflower inadequacy I added some carrots. They worked fine.

2 comments:

  1. Hugh is mental! You can't get a thick sauce in 5 - 10 minutes. What is he doing to us?!

    I have thought this about his veg portions too! Some courgette thing that I made wanted me to use 800g of courgettes. I didn't weigh mine but I KNOW that that is madness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversely, when I made the ratatouille, he was exactly right on the aubergine weight. It was spooky. But you wouldn't know about that, you eggplant facists.

    Anyway, this sounds like, erm, a nice light curry. I have a weird thing with cooked cauliflower. Well it's not that weird, I just don't like it. Unless it's bathing in cheese, obviously. Oh, I once had it in puree form and that was nice. But spices would help.

    I was going to argue the case for star anise but then I realised that I ONLY LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S PRETTY AND COOL TOO!

    ReplyDelete