Sunday 26 February 2012

North African Squash and Chickpea Stew

by Amy


Substitutions: 1 Cal spray, of course. That's all though.
Rating: 9

Looking at this photo in retrospect, I can see that this looks somewhat like vomit. Nevertheless my memory of this is unsullied: I honestly think this is one of the nicest tasting things I have ever made EVER.

Oh man, this was so delicious. Why was it so delicious? I'd made this once pre-blog, when it was perfecty fine but no nicer than I expect lentils, butternut squash and chickpeas to be (which is still quite nice actually, I love all those things). But this time I just wanted to eat it forever.

I think it was the saffron: last time, I didn't have it. This time I did, and it tasted amazing. I used it in the Chachouka: just a tomato ragout, really, but with saffron in? Amazing. I don't even know what saffron tastes like, I can't pick it out as a flavour, it just makes things taste better. I think it just tastes of amazing.

This is a shame considering it's the most expensive spice in the world. Damn you, Hugh! This stuff is sold by the unheaped teaspoon and has a security tag attached to it at Tesco.

I will make this again and again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's very high praise indeed! I think saffron tastes wuite weird, tbh, and is mostly just good for it's yellowyness. Or maybe i'm thinking of turmeric. Still, obviously it adds loads to the depth of flavour here. I want to make it. I want to make it NOW.

    ReplyDelete