Monday 6 February 2012

Quinoa with Courgettes and Onions




by Carol

Substitutions: Used dried herbs instead of real ones

Rating: 6/10

This was nice but it’s not going to blow your mind. I really like courgettes so it was good but if I didn’t like them quite as much I don’t think it would be much to write home about. It was really easy and quick though and I think it would make a pretty good lunch but I feel like I’m going to be hungry again in about 10 minutes.

Hugh has another variation using leeks and squash and I think this might be better as the squash would make it a bit more substantial but maybe not. I think the problem here might be the quinoa. It gets a bit lost amongst the courgettes and the pine nuts and even the onion really. It might be nice as a side with just the courgette and onion as this has a pretty impressive taste thanks to the thyme. But I don’t know what you would have with it. The potato dauphinoise? Actually, that sounds pretty good...

I don’t think I would make this again as it is. I enjoyed that the veg took centre stage again but in this dish I couldn’t help think something was missing. I just don’t know what. Any thoughts?!

3 comments:

  1. Disappointing. I think this might seem much nicer in the summer though. It strikes me as more of a summer thing? I would have a salad on the side.

    Maybe you could try it with some extra veg--like peppers or something, and it wouldn't feel so much like a boring side dish?

    You have put me off this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I've put you off.

    I think it would be better if I added loads more stuff to it but then it wouldn't be the same recipe at all and Hugh could take no credit for it and I could not post it on here. Right, Rhys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly.

    In my opinion, if it weren't for the ten thousand pine nut on there, it would look dreadful. Boring, watery veg, meet, boring water grain. Mmmm! I'm surprised you gave it such a high score to what is essentially courgette porridge. Gross.

    ReplyDelete