Thursday 16 February 2012

Dhal


Dhal
by Rhys



Substitutions: 1 Cal Spray instead of oil, a Knorr jelly stock thing instead of Hugh's veg stock. I also added chilli flakes, for a bit of spice.

Score 8/10

This recipe contains one of my favourite things in the world: burnt onions. Also, you have to love a dhal, at don't you? I don't think I've ever had it as an entire meal, just as a delicious side, but I can now attest to it making a delicious main meal.

It's all fairly easy to make, and leads me to believe that Hugh may be a bit of a genius with lentils. This is the second recipe of his where I've done something weird with them (in this case, skimming off the lentil froth), and the end product massively exceeded my expectations.

And also, I love burnt onions.

I prefer my dhal with a bit more of a kick, so I added chilli flakes and that was nice. I guess you could also do that thing where you put a whole chilli in and take it out when you serve.

My only real complaint is that this supposedly serves four people, but it only made, like, two bowls. All of which I ate in one sitting. Maybe he meant as a side. Or maybe I'm just a disgusting pig!

3 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with serving size. What I make never goes as far as he says it will. Are my portions really massive or something? Having said that, here I think he does mean as a side. My spicy spinach and potatoes served 4 as a mezze but, as a main, it was just right for the two of us.

    I've had this on my shortlist for a while. It looks delish. I love lentils.

    Also, WELCOME TO THE 1 CAL SPRAY CLUB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I should probably know that, shouldn't I...? I'm gonna say, erm, six?

    ReplyDelete