Thursday 2 February 2012

Macaroni Peas




by Carol

Substitutions:
I used cheddar instead of parmesan but Hugh basically says that’s fine.
I probably used twice as much cheese as the recipe calls for because I thought it was a bit stingy and I like cheese.

Rating: 7/10

This is definitely not a one pot dish. I used 4 separate pots! But it was still easy and only took about 15 minutes to make. Considering this is basically just peas and pasta, it is so tasty! I think this is mainly due to the garlic that you fry in a load of melted butter and add to the whizzed up pea mix. I don’t know how Amy made this taste nice without cheese and butter. One day Amy, as a treat, you should try it like this and I think it will blow your mind.

I would definitely make this again, mostly because it is made with ingredients I always, always have and so it is definitely a store cupboard supper (although in the book it is in the pasta section, obviously). Also, it probably costs about 10p per serving which is great when you are saving up for all those porcini mushrooms to make the Mushroom Stoup.

That is all I have to say about this one as it was so simple. There was no drama getting the ingredients and no faff in the preparation. I would highly recommend it. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks GORGEOUS! I want to make them now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, make it! It would be interesting if you did it with parmesan because I think it would taste quite different. But still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is so much less green than mine was! Must be all the cheese? Mine looked like pureed Incredible Hulk.

    It did taste nice without the butter and cheese but yeah, if I tried it properly, I probably wouldn't be able to go back to my way. Which is why I should never do it. Incidentally, my way is to fry the garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil and add water to the pea mix to loosen it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I thought this was pretty green. I would love to see yours then. Make it again!

    ReplyDelete