Monday 23 January 2012

Warm Salad of Mushrooms and Roasted Squash

by Amy


Substitions: 1 Cal spray instead of the ONE HUNDRED MILLILETRES of olive oil to roast the squash
Mixed leaves instead of the dreaded rocket


Rating: 7

I love butternut squash so much. I think it might be one of my favourite foods. Obviously not my literal favourite food, that would be ridiculous*, but of all the things I can eat with wild abandon without sinking into a pit of self-loathing, vomiting and/or breaking out in adult acne, BNS is right up there.

Squash happens to be having "a moment" in the world of vegetable fashion (yes, there are fashionable vegetables! Stop laughing) which means that to my delight there are LOADS of squash recipes in Veg Everyday. This is a warm salad--I'm not sure where warm salads came from but if in doubt, blame Ottolenghi--comprising basically of roasted squash, fried mushrooms and stilton on a bed of leaves with a balsamic dressing.

Proper easy it was. Not even that much chopping involved! This felt like a night off.

But what of the taste: Well, it was nice, because all the ingredients were nice. There was a balanced mix of sharpness and sweetness from the stilton, roast squash and balsamic, but the whole thing together was a bit, well... mushy. Some toasted nuts and/or seeds could have provided a nice contrasting crunch. 

Also the fried mushrooms just totally didn't feel right in a salad. It's like they'd arrived at the salad and were hanging out there just to be polite, but secretly they were despising the company of every other ingredient on the plate and pining for their fried egg mates.

Anyway. I might make this again but I'll be ringing the changes: ie some pumpkin seeds on top--and possibly raw baby button mushrooms? I am so boring.

* Milkshake

4 comments:

  1. At first I wasn't sure about this one but actually I think it might be quite nice! It sounds really easy too. I bet the mushrooms go really well with the balsamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly didn't think the mushrooms got on well with anything else there. They were horrible--urgh, though mainly this is more to do with my issues because fried mushrooms remind me of slugs.

    It was really easy and that made me like it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Mushrooms are the worst. But butternut squash is is the best! I don't know if I will be making this bipolar salad, but if I did make it, I would also certainly use the squash's seeds as a crunchy garnish (having roasted them, obv). I love roasted squash seeds.

    I basically just really like squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roasted squash seeds? Rhys. My mind has JUST BEEN BLOWN.

    ReplyDelete