Monday 23 January 2012

New Potato Gnocchi




New Potato Gnocchi
By Carol (but mostly Ben)

Substitutions: We used normal potatoes instead of new potatoes

Rating: 7/10

This is our Hugh vs Good Food mash up. Hugh tells you to put the gnocchi with his tomato sauce or pesto but we’ve had our eye on this Good Food recipe for a while so we decided to use this tomato and red pepper sauce: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7192/gnocchi-and-tomato-bake

I know it is probably blasphemous to say so on here but the sauce was way better than the gnocchi. I’M SORRY HUGH. However, this may have been due to a small seasoning oversight on the part of Head Chef Ben tonight. (Basically he didn’t put the salt in the dough)

The gnocchi was still nice though and really easy to make. The recipe makes enough for 4 so we have leftovers (which we have now added salt to!) so that will make a super easy dinner next time. I think I would like to try it with Hugh’s sauce. Has anyone made that tomato sauce yet?! He says to use it in everything but I have just been using tinned tomatoes and basil.

I might make it again but not in a rush. If you really like gnocchi I would recommend it, as it is pretty cool to make your own, but if you’re not that bothered... well maybe don’t bother.  


5 comments:

  1. I am still carb-starved so I feel like I could eat that whole thing right now. The sauce is really similar to Hugh's Chachouka but without the baked eggs, and that was REALLY nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep doing carby things, don't I?! The next few we do will be Amy appropriate, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is homemade gnocchi as good as shop-bought? Or is it like pasta and bread and just not as good at home? I can't imagine ever wanting to make gnocchi at home. Maybe I am a pleb.

    Oh, I do want to make the Chachouka though! Amy, why have you not blogged about?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I made it pre-blog, Rhys! I want to revisit all the things I made so I can blog about them. Specially the ones I want to eat again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say that it was the same as shop bought really. And like a million time cheaper and once you have a made a batch then it's just as easy.

    Yes, you are a pleb.

    ReplyDelete