Friday 20 January 2012

Mushroom Stoup

By Amy


Substitutions: 1 Cal spray instead of butter and oil to soften the onions
30g butter for 50g vegetable suet (what is vegetable suet)

Rating: 8.5

"Stoup" presumably because it's both soupy and stewy? Like when Ringo Starr was asked whether he was a mod or a rocker, and he answered "I'm a mocker". That Hugh--he just WON'T be pigeonholed.

Whatever category this falls into, it tasted lush--seriously lush. I was feeling adventurous and in need ot stodge so I made the optional dumplings. The consistency was all thick and satisfying, not brothy like I expected--probably because half the dumplings disintegrated while they were cooking. Also it tasted rich and dark and earthy because you soak the mushrooms first and then use them as a stock, so this is totally comforting dark-winter-night food. It was really filling too.

One small criticism: this is not a budget dish. I spent three whole pounds on dried porcini mushrooms for this dish, and that doesn't even include the 500g of bog standard mushrooms I had to put in there. You can't get away without using them either because it's the porcini mushrooms that make the stock. That's the only reason this recipe won't be in regular rotation round at mine but I'll mos def make it again at some point.

Boyfriend's review: "This is very mushroomy."

4 comments:

  1. Mushroomy is the worst adjective. I only like to eat mushrooms if I can't taste or really see them. Ideally, I'd prefer not to know they're even in there.

    1 cal spray?! Oh Amy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely avoid this one then. It's like Essence of Mushroom.

      Delete
  2. This doesn't sound like it's one for you then Rhys!

    I had my eye on this one too. The picture looks pretty similar to the one in the book. Nice job!

    £3 is quite a lot on dried mushrooms isn't it?! Did you get leftovers or was it only enough for 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have some left over but not enough for us both to feast on again. It probably serves 3.

      It did look similar to the picture! That pretty much never happens to me.

      Delete